Some of the projects I have had the privilege of writing, editing, contributing to research or production thereof as an independent scholar and academic editor. For a complete listing of my Masters and PhD scholarship, please refer to my Academia.edu CV or ORCID profile.
- (commission) Kroon, Ariel. “SURVIVING THE WILDS OF THE PANHANDLE: an expression of queer futurity in (spite of) the present world.” The Art Gallery, University of West Florida, 29 Sept. 2022.
(post-)Apocalyptic Science Fiction
- Kroon, Ariel. “‘Condemned to Life’ vs ‘The Lightheartedness of Utter Despair’: Two different ways to live in the post-apocalypse.” Academic Conference on Canadian Science Fiction and Fantasy (ACSFF), Toronto ON. 4 Jun. 2022.
- Kroon, Ariel. “From Cyberpunk to Solarpunk: The Evolution of the Future.” PhilosophyCon 77: Aborted Carbon. PhilosophyCon: Fan Convention and Academic Conference, Uniwersytet Śląski; Szkoła Doktorska, Krakow, Poland. 4-5 Dec. 2021.
Queer Futurism & Utopia
- Kroon, Ariel and Holly Schofield “The Future of Speculative Fiction: Writing in and beyond a world of climate crisis.” for Solarpunk Magazine, with Holly Schofield. When Words Collide: A Festival for Readers and Writers, August 13, 2022.
- (invited) Kroon, Ariel. “Deliberate hope: strategies of queer utopia in a Canadian post- apocalypse.” For Tyche Books. When Words Collide: A Festival for Readers and Writers, August 13, 2022.
- Norton-Kertson, Justine and Ariel Kroon. “Utopian Worldbuilding Workshop.” Solarpunk Magazine (Kickstarter backer perk), 11 Dec. 2021.
Accessible older presentations & papers:
- Kroon, Ariel. “Moving Beyond Survival in Twentieth-Century Postapocalyptic Canadian Science Fiction 1948-1989.” Thesis. Department of English and Film Studies, University of Alberta, Sept. 2021.
- Kroon, Ariel. “Solarpunking the Impasse of the Anthropocene.” Association for the Study of Literature and the Environment – Humanities on the Brink: Energy, Environment, Emergency ASLE 2020 Virtual Symposium. Virtual conference, 10-31 July 2020.
- Kroon, Ariel. “Shortened version of article: “Imagining Action in/Against the Anthropocene: Narrative Impasse and the Necessity of Alternatives to Effect Resistance”.” Association for Literature, Environment, and Culture in Canada biennial conference 2020: Watershed, “Watershed, lit., fig.” Virtual conference, 8-22 July 2020.
- Kroon, Ariel “Living Beyond the End Times: An Argument for Queer Utopianism.” SFRA Review, vol. 51. no. 2, Spring 2021.
- Kroon, Ariel. “Imagining Action in/Against the Anthropocene: Narrative Impasse and the Necessity of Alternatives to Effect Resistance.” The Goose, vol. 18, no. 1, article 2, 2019
- Kroon, Ariel. “Ariel Kroon on Science Fiction as Archive.” Just Powers, 23 Aug. 2018