A collection of speaking engagements I’ve participated in over the years, which provide an idea of the type of talks that I tend to give, both the category / style and topics thereof.
- Ayoub, Joey, Luka Dowell, André Rosario and Ariel Kroon. “From Capitalist Realism to a Solarpunk Reality: Theorizing and Building the Infrastructures of a Better Future.” The Solarpunk Conference. Virtual conference, 24 Jun 2023, link forthcoming.
- Kroon, Ariel, Michael O’Driscoll and Sean Luyk. “Right Managements of your Rights Management: Digital audio file rights management with SpokenWeb Ualberta.” Project Management in the Humanities, Digital Humanities Summer Institute (DHSI), University of Victoria, Victoria BC. 14 Jun 2023.
- Miya, Chelsea and Ariel Kroon. “The ethics of de-archiving: activating audio with SpokenWeb at the University of Alberta.” CSDH-SCHN Congress 2023, York University. May 29, 2023.
- (Invited) Kroon, Ariel, Mathieu Lauzon-Dicso, Malte Leander, Alex Nathanson, Jasmine Sihra. “Art, Literature, & the Aesthetics of Hopeful Futures.” Situated Solar Relations: Rethinking Scale for the Renewable Energy Age. Solar Media Collective, Concordia University, Montreal QC. 11 May 2023.
- Kroon, Ariel, Michael O’Driscoll and Sean Luyk. “Right Managements of your Rights Management Process.” SpokenWeb Virtual workshop, 8 Feb 2023.
- Kroon, Ariel and Holly Schofield “The Future of Speculative Fiction: Writing in and beyond a world of climate crisis.” When Words Collide: A Festival for Readers and Writers, August 13, 2022.
- (Invited) Kroon, Ariel. “Deliberate hope: strategies of queer utopia in a Canadian post- apocalypse.” For Tyche Books. When Words Collide: A Festival for Readers and Writers, August 13, 2022.
- Norton-Kertson, Justine and Ariel Kroon. “Utopian Worldbuilding Workshop.” Solarpunk Magazine (Kickstarter backer perk), 11 Dec. 2021.
- Kroon, Ariel. “‘Condemned to Life’ vs ‘The Lightheartedness of Utter Despair’: Two different ways to live in the post-apocalypse.” Academic Conference on Canadian Science Fiction and Fantasy (ACSFF), Toronto ON. 4 Jun. 2022.
- Beauchesne, Nick, Chelsea Miya and Ariel Kroon. “‘A Voice of One’s Own’: Making (Air)Waves about Gendered Language in 1980s Campus Radio.” SpokenWeb Symposium 2022, Concordia University, Montreal QC. 16-17 May 2022.
- Kroon, Ariel. “Living Beyond the End Times: An Argument for Queer Utopianism.” Living in the End Times: Utopian and Dystopian Representations of Pandemics. Cappadocia University, Turkey. Virtual Conference, 13-15 Jan. 2021.
- Kroon, Ariel. “Resisting Impasse Through Solarpunk Imaginaries: A Discussion of “The Boston Hearth Project” by T.X. Watson.” Waste of History Virtual Conference, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, 6 May 2020.
- Kroon, Ariel. “Solar Burn: Endurance of/in the Anthropocene.” Paradise on Fire: 2019 Association for the Study of Literature and the Environment, 26 Jun 2019, UC Davis, Davis, CA.
- (Invited) Kroon, Ariel, Kevin Guenther Trautwein, Shelby Haque. “Green versus Economic Development: Talking Across the Divide.” Interfaith Chaplains’ Association, 6 Feb 2019, U of Alberta, Edmonton, AB.
- Kroon, Ariel. “A Critical Evaluation of Character Relations in Two Canadian Women’s Science Fiction Narrative.” The Ethics and Poetics of “Living With” / Les éthiques et poetiques du « vivre avec ». Canadian Literature Centre (U of Alberta) & Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU, Norway), 14 Oct 2018, Banff, AB.
- Kroon, Ariel. “Élisabeth Vonarburg’s The Silent City: Feminist theory in Science Fiction.” ReSurfacing: women writing across Canada in the 1970s / Réfaire Surface: écrivaines canadiennes des années 1970 (Mount Allison U & U de Moncton), 28 Apr. 2018, Sackville NB, and Moncton NB.
- (Invited) Kroon, Ariel, Jason Harley, Andrew Ede, Cindy Chopoidalo, Tony Briggs. “Speculative Fiction and the Future.” Singularity University (University of Alberta & University of Toronto), 11 Oct. 2017, Edmonton, AB.
- Kroon, Ariel. “All the feels, all the clicks: Hypertext narrative & the affect effects on/of player choice.” DHSI Colloquium (U of Victoria), Digital Humanities Summer Institute, 7 June 2017, Victoria, BC.
- Kroon, Ariel. “Surviving H/hope: Commenting on Crisis in Apocalypse for Beginners.” Les maladies de l’âme, affect, émotion/ Maladies of the Soul, Emotion, Affect Conference. Canadian Literature Centre (U of Alberta)/ Canadian Studies Centre (U of Innsbruck), 23 Sept. 2016, Banff, AB.
- Kroon, Ariel. “From Litcrit to Twitpics: Margaret Atwood’s Public Advocacy Past and Present.” Association of Canadian College and University Teachers of English (ACCUTE) and the Margaret Atwood Society (MAS) joint panel, Congress of the Social Sciences and Humanities, 29 May 2016, Calgary, AB.
- Kroon, Ariel. “Effectively Affective Storytelling: Conveying the Experience of a Story.” EFS 2016 Year-End Symposium: Innovation and Regeneration, Graduate Students of English Collective, 14 Apr. 2016, Edmonton, AB.
- Kroon, Ariel. “‘The World of Romance’: The Commercial Romance Brand as a Framework for Fandom.” EFS 2016 Year-End Symposium: Innovation and Regeneration, Graduate Students of English Collective, 14 Apr. 2016, Edmonton, AB.
- Kroon, Ariel. “From Cyberpunk to Solarpunk: The Evolution of the Future.” PhilosophyCon 77: Aborted Carbon. PhilosophyCon: Fan Convention and Academic Conference, Uniwersytet Śląski; Szkoła Doktorska, Krakow, Poland. 4-5 Dec. 2021.
- Kroon, Ariel. “Solarpunking the Impasse of the Anthropocene.” Association for the Study of Literature and the Environment – Humanities on the Brink: Energy, Environment, Emergency ASLE 2020 Virtual Symposium. Virtual conference, 10-31 July 2020.
- Kroon, Ariel. “Shortened version of article: “Imagining Action in/Against the Anthropocene: Narrative Impasse and the Necessity of Alternatives to Effect Resistance.” Association for Literature, Environment, and Culture in Canada biennial conference 2020: Watershed, “Watershed, lit., fig.” Virtual conference, 8-22 July 2020.