I have given workshops, guest lectures, conference papers, talks at conventions, chaired presentations, and participated in roundtable conversations and panel discussions, all either live, virtual, or pre-recorded. I am an engaging and punctual speaker, and I know how to present virtually in a way that won’t have you staring up my nose the entire time, but instead focused on what it is that I have to say.
Topics I’ve spoken on include
- queer futurities
- project management in the digital humanities
- positive futurism
- climate change anxiety and hope
- Canadian science fiction
- climate fiction (cli-fi)
- Canadian women’s science fiction
- public intellectualism
- …and more!
- Ayoub, Joey, Luka Dowell, André Rosario and Ariel Kroon. “From Capitalist Realism to a Solarpunk Reality: Theorizing and Building the Infrastructures of a Better Future.” The Solarpunk Conference. Virtual conference, 24 Jun 2023. (link forthcoming)
- (Invited) Kroon, Ariel. “Deliberate hope: strategies of queer utopia in a Canadian post- apocalypse.” For Tyche Books. When Words Collide: A Festival for Readers and Writers, August 13, 2022.
- Norton-Kertson, Justine and Ariel Kroon. “Utopian Worldbuilding Workshop.” Solarpunk Magazine (Kickstarter backer perk), 11 Dec. 2021.
- Kroon, Ariel. “From Cyberpunk to Solarpunk: The Evolution of the Future.” PhilosophyCon 77: Aborted Carbon. PhilosophyCon: Fan Convention and Academic Conference, Uniwersytet Śląski; Szkoła Doktorska, Krakow, Poland. 4-5 Dec. 2021.
- Beauchesne, Nick, Chelsea Miya and Ariel Kroon. “‘A Voice of One’s Own’: Making (Air)Waves about Gendered Language in 1980s Campus Radio.” SpokenWeb Symposium 2022, Concordia University, Montreal QC. 16-17 May 2022. Podcast episode and additional reflection.
- Kroon, Ariel. “Living Beyond the End Times: An Argument for Queer Utopianism.” Living in the End Times: Utopian and Dystopian Representations of Pandemics. Cappadocia University, Turkey. Virtual Conference, 13-15 Jan. 2021. Paper version.
- Kroon, Ariel. “Solarpunking the Impasse of the Anthropocene.” Association for the Study of Literature and the Environment – Humanities on the Brink: Energy, Environment, Emergency ASLE 2020 Virtual Symposium. Virtual conference, 10-31 July 2020.
- Kroon, Ariel. “Shortened version of article: “Imagining Action in/Against the Anthropocene: Narrative Impasse and the Necessity of Alternatives to Effect Resistance.” Association for Literature, Environment, and Culture in Canada biennial conference 2020: Watershed, “Watershed, lit., fig.” Virtual conference, 8-22 July 2020.